When it comes to providing high-quality medical treatment at low prices, India is one of the leading countries and a prominent healthcare hub in Southeast Asia, giving excellent low-cost medical therapies. The VSD closure surgery cost in India includes the expense of medical care and many services, such as currency exchange, excellent infrastructure, and 24-hour help lines, and effective translators.
What is VSD?
A hole in the heart is a Ventricular Septal Defect (VSD). It is a common birth abnormality (congenital).
- The four chambers of the heart are two upper (atria) and two lower (ventricles).
- Oxygen-filled blood goes from the left atrium to the left ventricle and the entire body, where the vital organs use oxygen.
- After supplying oxygen to the body, blood flows to the right atrium, the right ventricle, and the lungs. There it takes up more oxygen.
- Between the left chamber and the right chamber of the heart, there is a wall called Septum.
- A hole in this wall is present in anyone with a VSD.
- As a result, blood flows improperly from the left ventricle into the right ventricle.
- Also, too much blood may be directed to the lungs rather than the rest of the body, putting additional strain on the heart.
There can be four types of Ventricular Septal Openings:
- Membranous VSD: Accounts for 75% of all VSD cases. This hole is located near the valves of the septa.
- Muscular VSD: Occurs in the lower Septum and may close spontaneously.
- Atrioventricular canal type VSD: Near the tricuspid and mitral valves. Repair generally necessitates surgical intervention.
- Conal septal VSD: This is the most uncommon kind of VSD, occurring right below the pulmonary valve.
While more minor ventricular septal defects may not cause issues and may close on their own, VSDs that are medium or bigger may require surgical treatment early in life to avoid complications.
A heart abnormality is suspected if a murmur is heard by the doctor while listening to your baby’s heart with a stethoscope. Ultrasound can sometimes detect a VSD before the baby is born. Symptoms of a Ventricular Septal Defect (VSD) in an infant include:
- Poor feeding
- Failure to thrive
- Exhaustion due to rapid breathing or lack of oxygen
A VSD may also not be discovered until a person reaches maturity. Shortness of breath or a heart murmur detected by your doctor could be an indicator.
When to see a doctor?
See a doctor if your child:
- Tires quickly when eating or playing
- Isn’t gaining weight
- Becomes breathless when eating or crying
- Breathes fast or is short of breath
See a doctor if you (a mature person) experience:
- Shortness of breath when exercising or lying down
- Fast or irregular heartbeat
- Fatigue or weakness
Diagnosis of VSD
If the doctor believes that you are at a higher risk of coronary artery disease, they recommend you a few tests:
- Chest X-ray
- Electrocardiogram (EKG or ECG)
- Cardiac catheterization (used to determine the exact volume of blood flow to the lungs in rare circumstances)
VSD Closure Surgery
Small VSDs (with a diameter of less than or equal to 3 mm) close independently and require no treatment. In the case of large VSDs (more than 6 mm) or medium (3-6 mm), surgery or medicinal management are required to rectify the defect. VSD surgery is a heart surgery that corrects a ventricular septal defect.
- A surgeon creates a cut through the front of the chest and separates the breastbone to reach the heart during this procedure.
- During surgery, a heart-lung machine pumps blood and acts as the lungs.
- The surgeon then will close the gap between the ventricles.
- The child’s cells develop over the patch over time, further cementing it in place.
Who is a candidate for VSD closure surgery?
When the VSD is:
- Large in size
- Causing symptoms and issues
- It affects the normal functioning of the heart and lungs
- Causing growth-related problems (stunted growth) in the child surgery for treatment of the VSD is advised.
VSD Closure Surgery Cost
The VSD closure surgery cost in India ranges from USD 4900 to USD 5500. This is less than a quarter of what it costs in the United States, where the average cost of VSD closure surgery is estimated to be more than $20,000.
Therefore, depending on the hospital, in India, VSD closure surgery cost ranges from 2 lakh to 4 lakh. Although the procedure is only a few hours long, the patient must stay in the hospital’s care unit for roughly a week.
VSD closure surgery has a 98.5 percent success rate. Because of the Low VSD closure surgery cost in India and the superior quality of medical services in India, hundreds of patients travel there for this surgery. The low cost of this surgery is one factor that keeps India at the top of the list of countries to visit for treatment.