When it comes to exercising, Pilates has become a household name over the years. It has become mandatory for everyone to follow a proper workout routine and eat a good diet to remain healthy and fit. If you no longer feel motivated by your old workout regimen, you can join Pilates classes. It is a versatile form of workout. Irrespective of your fitness background, Pilates can become a workout game changer.
What is Pilates?
Pilates is a low-impact exercise that strengthens your muscles by improving your posture and flexibility. During Pilates exercise, the major muscle groups in the body get stretched and balanced. The main requirement of this exercise is focus and concentration. Each exercise follows a particular rhythm and breathing pattern. Pilates can be aerobic and non-aerobic. The exercises are specific to a person and are re-evaluated regularly to ensure they are the most appropriate exercises for that individual. Pilates is suitable for all types of people.
Health benefits of Pilates
Following are some health benefits of Pilates
- Improved posture
- Improved flexibility
- Increased muscle strength
- Enhanced muscle control
- Improved concentration
- Stress management
- Increased lung capacity
- Relaxation of neck, upper back, and shoulders
- Improved balance and physical coordination
- Rehabilitation of spinal and joint injuries
Tips for the beginners
The main aim of Pilates is to build core strength, which is why this form of exercise is suitable for all fitness levels. If you are a beginner, you must prepare before your first Pilates class. Here are the tips to prepare yourself and walk into your first Pilates class with a good idea.
- Patience is key: You may be into a regular workout regime or new to exercise; you must start from the basics. The basics of Pilates have to be understood properly so that your foundation is solid.
- Different from regular exercise: With Pilates, you will not feel exhausted, which is normal during other exercises. You will not even feel the high heart pumping that happens during cardio exercises. There is nothing to fret about. With Pilates, your body will become open and balanced. The initial exercises focus on smaller muscles which are the support system of the larger muscles. So, don’t look for visible results that Pilates do not deliver.
- Focus is on quality: Never perform exercises too quickly. Doing exercises rightly is crucial in Pilates. Beginners try to perform exercises quickly and make big movements. Never do that. Always follow your instructor and keep an appropriate pace during exercise. Following the incorrect way may lead to injuries.
- If pain, then no gain: Unlike other exercises, you do not feel pain in Pilates. You should consult your doctor for discomfort or pain during exercise.
- Listen to your body: Pilates exercises are given per a person’s body. So, try to stick to that. Do not try to follow what everyone else is doing. This will lead to frustration. Only when you listen to your body, you will get better results by doing Pilates exercises.
Things to know before you go for your Pilates classes
- Bring your own Pilate mat and water bottle for the class.
- Wear comfortable, body-fitting clothes for the class so you can move easily. Tie your hair properly.
- Try not to miss your class and stick to a fixed routine.
- Make sure that you enquire about the Pilates classes, and based on it, you must join the classes.
Going for the first Pilates class is an exciting experience. If you have a proper idea about the basics and know your expectation, you are better prepared for your classes and can enjoy doing your workout.