Microsoft SharePoint is a document management and collaboration platform that helps a company manage archives, documents, reports and other content that is vital to its business processes. SharePoint’s enterprise content management capabilities are helpful to organizations in all industries and in any department within SharePoint services.
SharePoint is configured using a web browser. It provides most of its capabilities via a web user interface (UI) and web applications. SharePoint is used to manipulate content and site structure, create and delete sites, enable and disable product features, configure basic workflows and manage analytics.
New and updated SharePoint features
SharePoint 2019 is the latest version of the application. SharePoint is part of the Office 365 suite, where it is known as SharePoint Online. Microsoft also offers an on-premises version for organizations that prefer to keep their data in-house for compliance or security reasons.
Business intelligence (BI). SharePoint 2019 is integrated with Microsoft Power BI, providing access to BI
Compliance. SharePoint’s In-Place Hold Policy Center and Compliance Policy Center let a company’s central administration build and apply policies. Users can delete documents from OneDrive for Business sites.
Document library accessibility. SharePoint provides page landmarks for easy navigation, keyboard shortcuts for various tasks, updates on upload progress, improved callout readings and updates for help documentation.
- Expanded file names. Support is available for file names with special characters, leading with dots and longer than 128 characters.
- Folder sharing. Users can see who is sharing a folder and can invite participants and approve or deny access requests.
- Better integration with Office 365 tools and services, including Microsoft Sway.
- Information rights management. Digital rights management capabilities protect sensitive information and intellectual property from unauthorized access.
- Large file support. There is no limit on file size. However, Microsoft recommends a 10 GB maximum. There is a 250 GB maximum file upload limit.
- MinRole. Administrators can install only the roles they want on SharePoint servers.
- Mobile experience. A touch-friendly mobile interface has been added, giving users a more modern experience. It’s easy to switch from mobile view to PC view.
- Navigation UI. SharePoint includes megamenus that render and display on desktop and mobile versions of the platform to enhance site navigation. Developers can natively deliver shortcuts to webpages in SharePoint.
- Project server. Project managers can request resources from other resource managers and use a heat map function to see where resources spend time. They can also create multiple timelines. The project server has improved backup and restoration capabilities.
- Project Syntex. SharePoint integrates with Microsoft intelligent search to help employees locate relevant metadata in emails, presentations and other Office services. Syntex uses artificial intelligence and machine learning to automate content processing and turn content into knowledge.
- Security. SharePoint 2019 includes coauthoring and autosave features for encrypted documents, information barriers and automatic expiration of external access.
- Site page pinning. Users can pin sites to follow them when on premises or through Office 365.
- Team sites. These are locations where teams can work on projects and share information from anywhere. A team site includes a group of related webpages, as well as a default document library for files, lists for data management and web parts that are customizable.
- Yammer. The Yammer social networking platform has customizable social feeds that let employees interact in the SharePoint environment.